News

 

  • Career Opportunity - Plant Breeder for International Programs

    Posted on January 24, 2014 11:53am

    The Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences in the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources at Michigan State University invites applications for a 12-month, fixed term Assistant Professor position in plant breeding and genetics for international programs to help expand its collaborative research, graduate training and outreach in plant breeding for global food security.

  • Can these beans be canned?

    Posted on January 16, 2014 3:11pm

    Michigan State University (MSU) researchers, members of the U.S. Dry Bean Council, the Michigan Bean Commission, local farmers, elevator managers and several representatives of the bean canning industry gathered at MSU’s Crops Research Lab on Jan. 13, to evaluate both improved and standard bean varieties for canning.

    The varieties being tested were canned in the Food Science pilot plant in December 2013—and need to be in the can for a full month prior to being evaluated so the contents can stabilize. The cans are then opened and their contents evaluated for size, color, shape and intactness.

  • 2013 MSU Corn, Soybean and Wheat Variety Trials Reports Published

    Posted on December 11, 2013 10:52am

    Researchers from the Department of Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences have released their 2013 variety trials reports for Corn, Soybean and Wheat. The reports are available on the Michigan State University Variety Trials Website.  This year over 364 corn hybrids, 90 varieties of wheat and 226 soybean varieties were evaluated. 

  • Ozonated water:  Environmentally friendly technology for management of grape diseases

    Posted on October 2, 2013 1:20pm

    National Public Radio recently aired an interview with Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences Professor Annemiek Schilder about a new, environmentally friendly technology for management of grape diseases. Ozonated water is already used to sanitize equipment in wineries, and growers are starting to apply it to grapevines in the vineyard. Schilder says, while promising, research is needed to confirm the efficacy of this new technology.

    Listen to interview: 

    http://ipr.interlochen.org/ipr-news-features/episode/leelanau-vineyard-tries-chemical-free-spray/2013-09-26

  • MSU students dominate competition for Golf Course Superintendents Assoc. of America Scholarships

    Posted on September 26, 2013 12:47pm

    Five MSU Turfrgass students dominated the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) scholars program, by competing for and winning five of the available 13 scholarships.   
  • MSU, Northwestern Michigan College agriculture certificate programs community-driven

    Charles Sheneman, courtesy photo

    Posted on September 23, 2013 3:03pm

    In addition to being synonymous with beaches, Northern Michigan is widely known for its cherries, wine and golf courses.

    Since 1995, Michigan State University’s partnership with Northwestern Michigan College has helped to grow the economy and educate a work force in these thriving industries.

  • China Turfgrass Program Graduates Highly Employable

    China Turfgrass Student Intern Operating Vehicle

    Posted on September 12, 2013 8:21am

    In 2003, MSU signed agreements with four Chinese universities leading to joint bachelor of science degrees being granted to Chinese students from both MSU and their home Chinese universities. The four Chinese universities are Beijing Forestry University (BFU), Sichuan Agricultural University (SAU), Northeast Agricultural University (NEAU), and Suzhou Polytechnic Institute of Agriculture (SPIA). To date, six cohorts of students have completed the program, totaling 303 students. Another 51 will graduate Spring 2014, bringing the total number of graduates to 354.

    Gainful Employment - Placement Rate: 85 percent of graduates of the program are employed in the field (China) while the remaining 15 percent pursue graduate studies.

  • Michigan high school students conduct research in department labs.

    Posted on July 22, 2013 8:40am

    Every year high school students apply for and compete for the Multicultural Apprenticeship Program. It’s a six week summer program where students can explore educational and career opportunities in agriculture and food science.

  • Demand High for agricultural graduates

    Posted on July 18, 2013 9:52am

    Food and Agricultural companies stuggle to attract AG Graduates.  

  • Feeding the world’s future

    Jim Kelly inspects harvested beans on a farm in the Gicumbi district of Rwanda. Photo by Kurt Stepnitz

    Posted on April 10, 2013 10:22am

    Researchers at Michigan State University netted a $24.5 million award from the U.S. Agency for International Development, continuing MSU’s long-term commitment to helping developing nations find sustainable and secure food sources.

Page 5 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 >